Tuesday, April 30, 2013

SOPHOMORE SEMI-FORMAL : A NIGHT TO REMEMBER





Hey readers ! Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Seriously school is consuming me like a fat kid consumes a whole cake in one sitting. (I'm actually in Chemistry class right now, and I have a little time to kill c:) I was suppose to post this months ago since my semi-formal was months ago but better late than never. 

STORY TIME ! I'll make it short because I tend to blab. I had my whole outfit planned for my freshman semi-formal until I fell ill, and was basically dying on my couch while the other kids got to dance and twerk the night away. So this year, I went all out since it's my last dance before PROM next year ! I actually made my shirt for my semi-formal this year, and I really wanted a galaxy shirt so I'm gonna explain the process of how I made it and my whole outfit for the night. 

So first, I went to my local thrift store and purchased a simple, black long sleeve button up. It's from Gap and was only 6 dollars. I also watched a million tutorials on how to do this. 




I then sprayed it with bleach using a spray bottle, and what you want to aim for is big scattered clumps, and then some dusty sprays. I don't really know how to explain it so here's a picture. 



Also don't forget to lay a big trashbag or newspaper under your shirt so that you don't get bleach on your floor. Also stick paper towels inside the shirt so the bleach doesn't bleed through. Don't forget to spray the back, the collar, and the sleeves. You don't have to spray the inside because the bleach does bleed through. You then let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and then you wash it. When you bleach black fabric, it turns orange, and all the orange comes out when you wash it. You don't want it staining your other clothes.




Also don't forget to wear gloves because it might irritate your skin, and it smells really bad. Then put it in your drier for 30-45 minutes, after which then you can start painting. For paint, I picked out 4 colors. For the galaxy, I picked a matte light blue, a sparkly darker blue, a lavender, and for the stars, a white. I originally started with the sparkly dark blue, but it looked really transparent since I added only a small amount (because I only had a limited amount of paint). So I actually started with the matte light blue. NOTE: If you have a matte dark blue, start with that. I had a sparkly more transparent dark blue, so it worked better as a top coat. I applied the matte light blue everywhere except the big clumps which represent the different galaxies. 


This is what the matte blue looks like. 
Put the matte light blue around the big clumps or "galaxies".
I made the mistake of applying it very heavily, so make sure to dab a lot, and spread. When you're finished applying all of the matte light blue, you can apply the sparkly dark blue over everywhere your matte light blue just went. The sparkly dark blue will serve as a top coat. 



After you've finished applying the sparkly dark blue, you're ready to move on to the lavender. Unlike the two blues, you're only applying the lavender around the big galaxies, and only around the big galaxies. This will look like a cloud around the galaxy. After applying the lavender, take a toothbrush and dip it in the white paint, and swipe your finger up and down the toothbrush and it should dust the white over your shirt. It's like splattering so it looks like stars. You can also take the end of a paint brush and dot the stars but ain't nobody got time fo dat. 



You should be done ! The tutorial that helped me the most was the NotoriousKIA. Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHJBVCamRjQ

I just wanted the shirt to stand out, so I wore all black because the shirt already had so much color. I wore a black blazer, black jeans (Levi's), and grey boots (Bedstu). For accessories, I wore a small collar necklace (F21) and this necklace was cool because it's shine had a green, and pink color. And finally on my wrist, I wore a black studded chain bracelet (F21), and my watch (Invicta).

If you guys have any questions, leave them in the comments below ! To end this post, I leave you with some pictures from the night. Photo credits to my friend, Jenn, and her dad. Also check out my Instagram, Twitter, and my Vine (which has some videos from that night), @FASEANFORWARD. 


I call this our "Happy Family" picture.




XO Sean <3

No comments:

Post a Comment